News Analysis: Britain delays second high-speed railway construction, again


by Xinhua writers Zheng Bofei, Larry Neild

LONDON, June 18 (Xinhua) -- Britons won't be boarding their second high-speed railway -- High Speed 2 (HS2) -- before the 2030s, as the government confirmed on Wednesday that construction has been delayed until at least 2033. The delay stems from years of mismanagement and escalating costs, spanning from the tenure of the Conservative government to the current Labour administration.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Ukraine strikes ballistic missile producer deep inside Russia, Kyiv says
Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Ukraine hits Russian ballistic missiles producer in Udmurtia, Kyiv says
India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
With tariffs ruling, Supreme Court reasserts its power to check Trump
Exclusive-Cuban security forces exit Venezuela as US pressure mounts
France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says
Ukrainians, scattered across Europe, trapped in limbo by war

Others Also Read