Death toll climbs to 78 in Eastern Cape floods in South Africa


CAPE TOWN, June 12 (Xinhua) -- The death toll from the devastating floods in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa has risen to 78, with only 21 bodies identified so far, a senior government official confirmed on Thursday.

"I can confirm that the death toll from the floods has risen to 78, as more bodies continue to be recovered. This means we are facing a serious crisis," South Africa's Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Velenkosini Hlabisa told the SABC News channel on Thursday evening.

The floods occurred after severe weather conditions hit multiple districts across the province on Monday, leaving hundreds of people displaced.

"As the water continues to subside, it's likely that more bodies will be found. What is comforting is that we have sufficient personnel conducting search and rescue operations," Hlabisa said.

According to the Eastern Cape provincial government, rescue teams are continuing to search affected areas for missing persons, with two helicopters, search and rescue vehicles, police dogs, and technical rescue teams deployed in the affected districts.

The minister also urged communities to assist by reporting missing persons to authorities.

"We have made a clarion call to all district centers that, if someone you know has not been seen in the past two days, please report them as missing," Hlabisa said.

He added that the majority of those who lost their lives were residents of flood-prone areas along riverbanks and flood plains.

At an earlier media briefing on Thursday afternoon, Hlabisa announced that a classification of national disaster has been made by the head of the National Disaster Management Center, although a formal declaration of disaster is not necessary for now.

"The classification is sufficient as it allows all departments and spheres of government to activate necessary steps in terms of intervention to respond to the storm that occurred over the past few days," he explained.

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to visit the flood-affected areas in the province on Friday following the rising casualties and damage to infrastructure caused by the severe weather.

In a statement issued by the presidency, Ramaphosa expressed his sadness at the loss of lives and conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, as well as affected communities and Eastern Cape residents at large.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of IS militants from Syrian camp
5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya's capital Tripoli, police officer says
Islamic State claims two attacks on Syrian army, announces ‘new phase’ of operations
German duo Nolte/Levi defend Olympic title in 2-woman bobsled
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 21
France captures mixed relay gold to conclude Olympic ski mountaineering debut
Venezuela has received more than 1,550 requests under amnesty law
DHS agent killed US citizen in March 2025, records show
Dutch speed skaters Bergsma, Groenewoud collect mass start golds at Milan-Cortina Games (updated)

Others Also Read