Judge in Diego Maradona's homicide trial in Argentina stands down amid scandal


FILE PHOTO: A picture of soccer legend Diego Maradona hangs in the front of the CONMEBOL headquarters following the death of Maradona, in Luque, Paraguay November 26, 2020. REUTERS/Jorge Adorno/File Photo

BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) -One of the three Argentine judges presiding in the trial of seven members of Diego Maradona's medical team charged with negligent homicide in the soccer star's 2020 death stepped down from the case on Tuesday amid accusations of ethical breaches, leaving the future of the proceedings uncertain.

Judge Julieta Makintach stood down from the case after video surfaced in recent days showing her apparently being interviewed by a camera crew as part of a documentary in the corridors of the Buenos Aires courthouse and in her office. Court rules forbid such interviews involving a judge mid-trial.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Trump says he will raise US global tariff rate from 10% to 15%
Ukraine strikes ballistic missile producer deep inside Russia, Kyiv says
Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Ukraine hits Russian ballistic missiles producer in Udmurtia, Kyiv says
India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
With tariffs ruling, Supreme Court reasserts its power to check Trump
Exclusive-Cuban security forces exit Venezuela as US pressure mounts
Thousands march in Lyon after French far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says

Others Also Read