Death toll in Dominican Republic disaster nears 250, nightclub faces lawsuits


A makeshift memorial stands outside the remains of the Jet Set nightclub after a deadly roof collapse, in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic April 14, 2025. REUTERS/Ricardo Arduengo

(Reuters) - The death toll at last week's nightclub roof collapse in the capital of the Dominican Republic rose to 231, the Minister of Interior and Police said on Monday, as families of victims began filing lawsuits against the nightclub's owners.

Holy Week will be different this year in the Caribbean tourist destination, with multiple events and activities canceled and beach parties banned, according to the Dominican Navy.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of IS militants from Syrian camp
5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya's capital Tripoli, police officer says
Islamic State claims two attacks on Syrian army, announces ‘new phase’ of operations
German duo Nolte/Levi defend Olympic title in 2-woman bobsled
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 21
France captures mixed relay gold to conclude Olympic ski mountaineering debut
Venezuela has received more than 1,550 requests under amnesty law
DHS agent killed US citizen in March 2025, records show
Dutch speed skaters Bergsma, Groenewoud collect mass start golds at Milan-Cortina Games (updated)
Salsa legend Willie Col�n dies at age 75, family says

Others Also Read