Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant could restart months after ceasefire, IAEA chief says


A view shows the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant before the arrival of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) expert mission in the course of Russia-Ukraine conflict outside Enerhodar in the Zaporizhzhia region, Russian-controlled Ukraine, June 15, 2023. REUTERS/Alexander Ermochenko/File Photo

VIENNA (Reuters) - The Russian-held Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant in Ukraine could come back online within months of a ceasefire, but it would probably take more than a year to restart all six reactors, the U.N. atomic watchdog chief said on Wednesday.

Russian forces took over Europe's biggest nuclear power plant a week after invading Ukraine. Zaporizhzhia, now near the front line, provided 20% of Ukraine's power output before the war. All its reactors are shut down as war rages around it and threatens to cause a potentially catastrophic accident.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says
Ukrainians, scattered across Europe, trapped in limbo by war
Macron says US Supreme Court tariff ruling shows it is good to have counterweights to power in democracies
Analysis-Trump pushes US toward war with Iran as advisers urge focus on economy
Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power
Trump furious after Supreme Court upends his global tariffs, imposes new 10% levy
US says it struck vessel in the eastern Pacific, killing three men
1st LD: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff

Others Also Read