Congo M23 rebels say they will withdraw from seized town to support peace push


FILE PHOTO: Members of the M23 rebel group stand guard as people attend a rally addressed by Corneille Nangaa, Congolese rebel leader and coordinator of the AFC-M23 movement, in Bukavu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo February 27, 2025. REUTERS/Victoire Mukenge/File Photo

(Reuters) -Rwanda-backed M23 rebels staging an offensive in east Congo said on Saturday they would withdraw forces from the seized town of Walikale in support of peace efforts, having previously said they were leaving troops there as they pushed on to the capital.

The government said it hoped the move would be translated into concrete action, after M23 this week pulled out of planned talks with Congolese authorities at the last minute due to EU sanctions on some of its leaders and Rwandan officials.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Christine Lagarde intends to complete her term at ECB, she tells WSJ
Banner of Donald Trump unfurled at Justice Department headquarters
The former Prince Andrew went from helicopter pilot to trade envoy to royal pariah
Argentina's lower house passes labor reform, sends to Senate for final vote
Alberta plans referendum to wrest control over immigration from Canadian government
How Reuters captured the photo of former Prince Andrew leaving custody
New Mexico reopens investigation of Epstein ranch
Venezuela legislature passes limited amnesty bill critiqued by rights groups
North Korea's Kim opens 9th Party Congress citing economic achievements
1st LD Writethru: U.S. trade deficit in goods hits record high in 2025

Others Also Read