Philippines defends ex-President Duterte's transfer to ICC in Senate inquiry


FILE PHOTO: Former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte is seen on a screen in the courtroom of the International Criminal Court (ICC) with his lawyer Salvador Medialdea seated left, in The Hague, Netherlands, Friday, March 14, 2025. Peter Dejong/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

MANILA (Reuters) - Philippine officials on Thursday defended before the country's Senate the arrest and transfer to the International Criminal Court of former President Rodrigo Duterte, as they faced allegations he was illegally abducted at the behest of a foreign institution.

Duterte is set to be the first Asian former head of state to go on trial at the ICC after he was arrested last week and sent to The Hague, where he faces accusations of murder as a crime against humanity over a "war on drugs" that killed thousands of people and defined his 2016-2022 presidency.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power
Trump furious after Supreme Court upends his global tariffs, imposes new 10% levy
US says it struck vessel in the eastern Pacific, killing three men
1st LD: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff
Tajikistan's population reaches 10.72 million
Switzerland takes men's curling bronze, Sweden, Switzerland set up women's final at Milan-Cortina
Coventry hails Milan-Cortina Games as 'truly successful'
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 20
U.S. stocks close higher

Others Also Read