US files complaint over smuggled aircraft it says benefited Venezuela's Maduro


FILE PHOTO: A U.S. Justice Department logo or seal showing Justice Department headquarters, known as "Main Justice," is seen behind the podium in the Department's headquarters briefing in Washington, January 24, 2023. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque//File Photo

(Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department on Tuesday filed a civil forfeiture complaint regarding an aircraft it said had been smuggled from the United States and operated for the benefit of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro in violation of sanctions.

Maduro and his government have always rejected sanctions by the United States and others, saying they are illegitimate measures that amount to an "economic war" designed to cripple Venezuela.

The Dassault Falcon 900 EX aircraft was seized last year in the Dominican Republic, according to a statement from the U.S. Justice Department.

In February, the Venezuelan government rejected the seizure of government aircraft by the United States, calling it "blatant theft" and saying the move was illegal.

(Reporting by Costas Pitas)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power
Trump furious after Supreme Court upends his global tariffs, imposes new 10% levy
US says it struck vessel in the eastern Pacific, killing three men
1st LD: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff
Tajikistan's population reaches 10.72 million
Switzerland takes men's curling bronze, Sweden, Switzerland set up women's final at Milan-Cortina
Coventry hails Milan-Cortina Games as 'truly successful'
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 20
U.S. stocks close higher

Others Also Read