Pakistan army says operation against militants who hijacked train has ended


Plain clothes security force perosnnel, who were rescued from a train after it was attacked by separatist militants, get into a vehcile following their arrival at a railway station in Mach, Balochistan, Pakistan, March 12, 2025. REUTERS/Naseer Ahmed

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - A military operation against militants who hijacked a train carrying hundreds of passengers in southwest Pakistan has ended, a spokesman for the army said late on Wednesday.

Some 33 militants and 21 hostages were killed during the operation, the spokesman said in a television broadcast.

Dozens of separatist Balochi militants blew up a railway track and lobbed rockets on Tuesday at the Jaffar Express, carrying more than 400 passengers, authorities said previously. Some of the militants wore suicide vests and were seated among the hostages, the government said, complicating rescue efforts.

(Reporting by Asif Shahzad; Writing by Charlotte Greenfield; Editing by Gareth Jones)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

More than 900 suspected Ebola cases identified in DRC, WHO chief says
Pessimism over U.S. deepens among Canadians: poll
"Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu" tops North American box office in opening weekend
Forensic experts sift through ruined dormitory in Russian-held Luhansk region
5 to 7 patients dying daily in Gaza due to delays in accessing treatment abroad: official
Feature: All-out treatment ongoing after north China coal mine accident
Benin's Wadagni takes office, vows better living standards, security
At least 8 killed in bus-truck crash in Brazil
Roundup: China's innovation capacity, cooperation potential become discussion highlights at Trento Festival of Economics
China issues top-level red alert for flash floods in Anhui, Hubei

Others Also Read