US energy department says less than 50 purged from nuclear security office


FILE PHOTO: The Savannah River Site (SRS), a 310 square mile (198,046 acres) Department of Energy site, located in the sand-hills region of South Carolina, U.S. shown in this aerial photo made available on July 27, 2012. Courtesy National Nuclear Security Administration/Handout via REUTERS/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump and his adviser Elon Musk purged less than 50 workers from the agency that maintains the country's nuclear weapons arsenal, the Department of Energy said on Sunday, after far wider layoffs there were suddenly rescinded, causing chaos among staff.

On Friday, sources told Reuters that 325 workers had been sent notice that they had been laid off from the National Nuclear Security Administration, part of the department which employs about 2,000 people and works around the world to secure dangerous nuclear materials, including in Ukraine as Russia's war continues.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Zimbabwe no longer keen on raw mineral exports, says president
IOC President Coventry defends Olympic neutrality
WFP warns deepening hunger crisis in Somalia amid aid cuts
French soldier dies after being accidentally shot in head during drunken evening in barracks
1st LD: U.S. Supreme Court rules Trump administration's sweeping tariffs illegal
U.S. Supreme Court tariff ruling could curb Trump's "unlimited, arbitrary tariffs": senior EP official
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's ex-wife 'Fergie' also undone by Epstein ties
Chinese couple makes Milan-Cortina history with dual aerials golds (updated)
EAC vows stronger efforts to ease regional trade obstacles
Food aid in Somalia could halt within weeks due to funding shortages, WFP warns

Others Also Read