UN rights chief warns of spread of Congo crisis at emergency UN meeting


A man stands in front of a gas station office that was hit by light and heavy weapons during the fighting in the town that led to the fall of Goma to the M23 rebels, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, February 5, 2025. REUTERS/Arlette Bashizi/File Photo

GENEVA (Reuters) - The U.N. human rights chief said on Friday that he was deeply disturbed by the escalating crisis in eastern Congo, urging all those with influence to help halt the violence and warning of a risk that it spreads beyond the country's borders.

"If nothing is done, the worst may be yet to come, for the people of the eastern DRC (Democratic Republic of Congo), but also beyond the country’s borders," Turk told an emergency meeting of the Geneva-based Human Rights Council.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says
Ukrainians, scattered across Europe, trapped in limbo by war
Macron says US Supreme Court tariff ruling shows it is good to have counterweights to power in democracies
Analysis-Trump pushes US toward war with Iran as advisers urge focus on economy
Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power
Trump furious after Supreme Court upends his global tariffs, imposes new 10% levy
US says it struck vessel in the eastern Pacific, killing three men
1st LD: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff

Others Also Read