Cyclone hits Romania's Galati County, leaving 5 dead, hundreds displaced


BUCHAREST, Sept. 14 (Xinhua) -- Galati County, Romania, is struggling to recover from the severe floods brought by Cyclone Boris on Saturday, which has claimed five lives and displaced over 250 residents.

The cyclone unleashed heavy rainfall, totaling 150 liters per square meter. It caused widespread flooding, leaving more than 25,000 homes without power and impacting over 5,000 households across 12 towns, according to local media reports.

In response to the disaster, the Romanian government has mobilized emergency resources.

Prime Minister Marcel Ciolacu visited Slobozia Conachi, one of the hardest-hit towns.

"Our priority is saving lives. We have the logistics in place to respond quickly," he said, promising temporary housing, food, and other essential supplies for displaced families.

Meanwhile, the National Committee for Emergency Situations approved emergency aid, which includes 400 tons of food, sleeping bags, mattresses, and modular housing units to provide temporary shelter for those affected.

The Ministry of National Defense deployed military personnel, rescue boats and trucks to assist in rescue operations.

Romanian Gendarmerie patrols have also been deployed to prevent looting and vandalism in the affected towns.

"The safety of the people remains our top priority," a Gendarmerie spokesperson said, urging residents to follow safety instructions and avoid returning to dangerous areas until conditions stabilize.

As more severe weather is forecast, with a red alert for heavy rain issued for nearby Vaslui County, the Romanian government is closely monitoring the situation. Efforts are also underway to repair damaged infrastructure and restore normalcy for the thousands impacted by what has been described as the worst flooding in the region since 2016.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Ukraine strikes ballistic missile producer deep inside Russia, Kyiv says
Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Ukraine hits Russian ballistic missiles producer in Udmurtia, Kyiv says
India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
With tariffs ruling, Supreme Court reasserts its power to check Trump
Exclusive-Cuban security forces exit Venezuela as US pressure mounts
France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says
Ukrainians, scattered across Europe, trapped in limbo by war

Others Also Read