Libyan court jails 12 officials over deadly floods


FILE PHOTO: Abdul Salam Ibrahim Al-Qadi, 43 years old, walks on the rubble in front of his house, searching for his missing father and brother after the deadly floods in Derna, Libya, September 28, 2023. REUTERS/Esam Omran Al-Fetori/File Photo

BENGHAZI (Reuters) - A Libyan court has jailed 12 officials in connection with the collapse of a series of dams in Derna last year that killed thousands of the city's residents, the Attorney General said on Sunday.

The officials, who were responsible for managing the country's dams, were sentenced to between 9 and 27 years in prison by the Court of Appeal in Derna. Four officials were acquitted.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's sweeping tariffs
Explainer-What charge might King Charles' brother face after his arrest?
France's far right seeks to deepen mainstream credibility after activist's killing
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
Analysis-Britain's royals face their worst crisis in 90 years over Andrew's Epstein links
France allows culling of around 200 wolves to protect livestock
Germany's Merz vows to keep out far-right as he warns of a changed world
Spain's top court rejects father's bid to halt daughter's euthanasia
Germany's Merz says his conservatives will not partner with far-right AfD
Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation

Others Also Read