Bolivia coup attempt fails after military assault on presidential palace


Reuters' template to be used in breaking news scenarios. REUTERS

LA PAZ (Reuters) -Bolivian armed forces pulled back from the presidential palace in La Paz on Wednesday evening and a general was arrested after President Luis Arce slammed a "coup" attempt against the government and called for international support.

Earlier in the day, military units led by General Juan Jose Zuniga, recently stripped of his military command, had gathered in the central Plaza Murillo square, home to the presidential palace and Congress. A Reuters witness saw an armored vehicle ram a door of the presidential palace and soldiers rush in.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

UK gov't considers removing Andrew from royal line of succession: media
Flash: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff
Rijpma-de Jong wins women's 1,500m gold at Milan-Cortina Winter Games
Flash: Trump threatens alternatives to tariffs after Supreme Court ruling
Feature: Two titles, one family in Olympic aerials
Feature: Maier turns Beijing tears to golden joy at 2026 Winter Olympics
De Beers reports challenging trading conditions for rough diamonds in 2025
Heavy snow causes multiple accidents, flight disruptions in Bavaria, Germany
Zimbabwe no longer keen on raw mineral exports, says president
IOC President Coventry defends Olympic neutrality

Others Also Read