World Court orders Israel to halt assault on Gaza's Rafah


Presiding Judge Nawaf Salam reads the ruling of the International Court of Justice, or World Court, in The Hague, Netherlands, Friday, May 24, 2024, where the top United Nations court ruled on an urgent plea by South Africa for judges to order Israel to halt its military operations in Gaza and withdraw from the enclave. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong)

THE HAGUE: Judges at the top United Nations court ordered Israel on Friday (May 24) to halt its military assault on the southern Gaza city of Rafah.

Reading out a ruling by the International Court of Justice or World Court, the body's president, Nawaf Salam, said provisional measures ordered by the court in March did not fully address the situation in the besieged Palestinian enclave now, and conditions had been met for a new emergency order.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
ICJ , Gaza , Rafah , Halt Assault , Israel , South Africa , Emergency Order ,

Next In World

France allows culling of around 200 wolves to protect livestock
Germany's Merz vows to keep out far-right as he warns of a changed world
Spain's top court rejects father's bid to halt daughter's euthanasia
Germany's Merz says his conservatives will not partner with far-right AfD
Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation
Russia says no peace dialogue ongoing with Japan over territorial dispute
Over 5,000 women, girls killed in Ukraine since 2022, says UN
Europe's main military powers to develop low-cost air-defence systems
Trump ally ties up with Russia's Novatek on natural gas in Alaska, NYT reports
Police search royal mansion as investigation into king's brother goes on

Others Also Read