Mexico tells World Court Ecuador embassy raid was illegal


People attend a public hearing where Mexico is set to ask the International Court of Justice (ICJ) to issue emergency measures against Ecuador over the armed raid on the Mexican embassy, which Mexico says is a violation of international law, in The Hague, Netherlands, April 30, 2024. REUTERS/Piroschka van de Wouw

THE HAGUE (Reuters) - Mexico told judges at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) on Tuesday that an armed raid on its embassy in Quito by Ecuador breached international law.

The case centres on the dramatic arrest of Ecuador's former Vice President Jorge Glas, twice convicted of corruption and facing fresh charges, who had been living in the Mexican embassy since December. He was seized on April 5 in a raid by Ecuadorean police shortly after Mexico granted him asylum status.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Figure skating roundup: Shaidorov lands historic gold for Kazakhstan as China holds on with fifth in pairs
Rijpma-de Jong wins women's 1,500m gold at Milan-Cortina Winter Games (Updated)
Trump furious after Supreme Court upends his global tariffs, vows new 10% levy
U.S. Supreme Court rules Trump administration's sweeping tariffs illegal
1st LD Writethru: U.S. Q4 GDP growth up 1.4 pct, well below estimate
Crude futures settle mixed
U.S. dollar ticks down
First foot-and-mouth case confirmed in Cyprus gov't-controlled areas, farm sealed
Graft allegations spark clashes in Albania between police and protesters
Attackers kill at least 50, abduct women and children in Nigeria's Zamfara state

Others Also Read