Boko Haram frees 49 women kidnapped in Nigeria's Borno state


FILE PHOTO: Bukar Isa, from the Mines Advisory Group (MAG), shows displaced victims of the Boko Haram insurgence how to identify marked objects of danger on the street, during a safety training at the Gubio camp in Maiduguri, Nigeria May 6, 2022. REUTERS/Afolabi Sotunde/File Photo

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - Forty-nine women kidnapped by Boko Haram earlier in the week near Maiduguri, in Nigeria's northeastern Borno state, regained their freedom early on Friday after a state official paid a ransom for their release, two of the victims and a local leader said.

The women were abducted on their farms on Tuesday morning in Shuwaei Kawuri village on the outskirts of Maiduguri, two victims who did not want to be identified told Reuters.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

First foot-and-mouth case confirmed in Cyprus gov't-controlled areas, farm sealed
Graft allegations spark clashes in Albania between police and protesters
Attackers kill at least 50, abduct women and children in Nigeria's Zamfara state
Iran prepares counterproposal as Trump weighs strikes
Trump orders temporary 10% global tariff to replace duties struck down by US Supreme Court
Urgent: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff
UK gov't considers removing Andrew from royal line of succession: media
Flash: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff
Rijpma-de Jong wins women's 1,500m gold at Milan-Cortina Winter Games
Flash: Trump threatens alternatives to tariffs after Supreme Court ruling

Others Also Read