Montenegro president dissolves parliament, paves way for new vote


FILE PHOTO: Montenegro's President Milo Dukanovic arrives for the EU-Western Balkans summit in Tirana, Albania, December 6, 2022. REUTERS/Florion Goga

SARAJEVO (Reuters) - Montenegro's President Milo Djukanovic on Thursday issued a decree dissolving the parliament, paving the way for a new parliamentary election in the Adriatic country months after he refused to give a mandate to a new government.

The acting government of Prime Minister Dritan Abazovic lost a no-confidence parliamentary vote in August, in the second such motion last year. The president must dissolve parliament if a new prime minister designate is not confirmed three months after such a vote, and call a new parliamentary vote the next day.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's sweeping tariffs
Explainer-What charge might King Charles' brother face after his arrest?
France's far right seeks to deepen mainstream credibility after activist's killing
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
Analysis-Britain's royals face their worst crisis in 90 years over Andrew's Epstein links
France allows culling of around 200 wolves to protect livestock
Germany's Merz vows to keep out far-right as he warns of a changed world
Spain's top court rejects father's bid to halt daughter's euthanasia
Germany's Merz says his conservatives will not partner with far-right AfD
Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation

Others Also Read