North Korea's Kim sacks No. 2 military official


FILE PHOTO: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un attends a session of the sixth enlarged meeting of the eighth Central Committee of the Workers' Party, in Pyongyang, North Korea, in this photo released on January 1, 2023 by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA). KCNA via REUTERS

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea has sacked Pak Jong Chon, the second most powerful military official after leader Kim Jong Un, state media reported.

Pak, vice chairman of the Central Military Commission of the ruling Workers' Party and a secretary of the party's Central Committee, was replaced by Ri Yong Gil at the committee's annual meeting last week, the official KCNA news agency said on Sunday.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

U.S. dollar ticks up
Milan-Cortina Games features 1,500 Chinese volunteers, says organizers
Peru's congress votes to oust President Jeri
French police arrest hard-left members over killing of far-right activist
Chinese Spring Festival celebration promotes cultural exchange in Botswana
Russian official acknowledges Starlink systems down for two weeks
France rallies from last to claim historic Olympic men's biathlon relay gold
US kills 11 men in three separate strikes in eastern Pacific, Caribbean, military says
Italy, Canada split team pursuit speed skating golds at Milan-Cortina
Through pain and retirement, China's Sui/Han fight to fifth in Olympic return

Others Also Read