Kazakhstan puts unrest death toll at 225


FILE PHOTO: A view shows a burnt vehicle near the mayor's office building following the protests triggered by fuel price increase, in Almaty, Kazakhstan January 6, 2022. Picture taken January 6, 2022. REUTERS/Mariya Gordeyeva

ALMATY (Reuters) -The bodies of 225 people killed in unrest in Kazakhstan last week, including 19 members of the security forces, were delivered to morgues throughout the country, the prosecutor general's office said on Saturday.

The figure included civilians and armed "bandits" killed by security forces, Serik Shalabayev, the head of criminal prosecution at the prosecutor's office, told a briefing.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power
Trump furious after Supreme Court upends his global tariffs, imposes new 10% levy
US says it struck vessel in the eastern Pacific, killing three men
1st LD: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff
Tajikistan's population reaches 10.72 million
Switzerland takes men's curling bronze, Sweden, Switzerland set up women's final at Milan-Cortina
Coventry hails Milan-Cortina Games as 'truly successful'
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 20
U.S. stocks close higher

Others Also Read