Libyan election collapses with no plan out of crisis


FILE PHOTO: A security officer stands in front of the High National Election Commission building in Benghazi, Libya December 16, 2021. REUTERS/Esam Omran Al-Fetori/File Photo

TRIPOLI (Reuters) -Libya's parliament said Friday's planned presidential election would not go ahead and did not name a new date, leaving the internationally backed peace process in chaos and the fate of the interim government in doubt.

The statement by parliament's election committee was the first official announcement of a delay, which had been widely expected amid ongoing disputes over the rules, including the eligibility of several divisive major candidates.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Figure skating roundup: Shaidorov lands historic gold for Kazakhstan as China holds on with fifth in pairs
Rijpma-de Jong wins women's 1,500m gold at Milan-Cortina Winter Games (Updated)
Trump furious after Supreme Court upends his global tariffs, vows new 10% levy
First foot-and-mouth case confirmed in Cyprus gov't-controlled areas, farm sealed
Graft allegations spark clashes in Albania between police and protesters
Iran prepares counterproposal as Trump weighs strikes
Attackers kill at least 50, abduct women and children in Nigeria's Zamfara state
Trump orders temporary 10% global tariff to replace duties struck down by US Supreme Court
Urgent: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff
UK gov't considers removing Andrew from royal line of succession: media

Others Also Read