German archbishop to take time-out after abuse scandal - Vatican


FILE PHOTO: The Archbishop of Cologne, Cardinal Rainer Maria Woelki, gives an update on the consequences and measures taken after an independent report on abuse cases at the Cologne archdiocese was released last week in Cologne, Germany, March 23, 2021. Oliver Berg/Pool via REUTERS

ROME/BERLIN (Reuters) - The Roman Catholic Archbishop of Cologne will take a break from his duties after committing "grave errors" in his handling of a crisis over clerical sexual abuse, but will retain his post, the Vatican said on Friday.

It was clear that Archbishop Rainer Maria Woelki needed "time to reflect, to renew and to reconcile", the Vatican said after talks between Pope Francis and Woelki on a crisis that has rocked the church in Germany.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Figure skating roundup: Shaidorov lands historic gold for Kazakhstan as China holds on with fifth in pairs
Rijpma-de Jong wins women's 1,500m gold at Milan-Cortina Winter Games (Updated)
Trump furious after Supreme Court upends his global tariffs, vows new 10% levy
U.S. Supreme Court rules Trump administration's sweeping tariffs illegal
1st LD Writethru: U.S. Q4 GDP growth up 1.4 pct, well below estimate
Crude futures settle mixed
U.S. dollar ticks down
First foot-and-mouth case confirmed in Cyprus gov't-controlled areas, farm sealed
Graft allegations spark clashes in Albania between police and protesters
Iran prepares counterproposal as Trump weighs strikes

Others Also Read