Italy's health minister rules out loosening of COVID-19 curbs


FILE PHOTO: Italian Health Minister Roberto Speranza speaks to reporters after European health ministers from neighbouring countries to Italy held a meeting to discuss Italy's coronavirus outbreak, in Rome, Italy, February 25, 2020. REUTERS/Remo Casilli/File Photo

ROME (Reuters) - Italy's government will extend coronavirus restrictions already in place until after Easter, the health minister said on Wednesday, as Rome plans to speed up vaccination efforts to try to beat the pandemic.

Italy, one of the countries hardest hit by COVID-19, has seen its daily cases fall from a high of around 40,000 in November to under 15,000 at present. But officials fear loosening restrictions may lead to a surge in infections driven by new, highly contagious variants.

"The epidemiological conditions do not allow us to relax the curbs," Health Minister Roberto Speranza told parliament, adding that virus variants first discovered in Britain, South Africa and Brazil are increasingly being detected in Italy.

The government introduced a raft of restrictions before Christmas, some of which are due to expire next week.

Speranza said a new decree would be issued shortly and would be valid until April 6, at the end of the Easter holidays. He did not provide further details, but cinemas, theatres and gyms look certain to remain shuttered, while opening hours for bars and restaurants will almost certainly stay highly limited.

Looking to keep new COVID-19 cases in check, Prime Minister Mario Draghi's new cabinet earlier this week extended a ban on non-essential travel between the country's 20 regions.

Speranza said the government was also looking to speed up vaccination efforts.

Italy launched its vaccine campaign at the end of December, and has so far administered 3.7 million jabs including second shots. In all, it has received 5.2 million vaccine doses from manufacturers, but supply delays, which have also affected other European Union states, have hampered efforts.

The northern Lombardy region said it would change its tactics for Bergamo and Brescia - two of the worst affected areas in Europe which have had a rise in infections this month - to free up more shots for locals.

"We will lower the doses available for the second shots... We have to move fast," said Guido Bertolaso, the coordinator of the regional vaccination campaign.

Some Italian officials say the whole country should do likewise, following the example of Britain, which has focused on vaccinating as many people as possible and not putting aside vaccine for recommended second shots.

(Reporting by Angelo Amante; Editing by Crispian Balmer and Bill Berkrot)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In World

UAE partners with Japan's iSpace to send rover to the moon in 2022
EU Commission to end AstraZeneca and J&J vaccine contracts at expiry - paper
Egypt seizes ship that blocked Suez Canal, demands US$900mil compensation
New Zealand mosque shooter launches legal challenge to prison conditions, terrorist status
South Korea aims to fight Japan's Fukushima decision in world tribunal
Myanmar activists stage 'bloody' protests against military
India's new coronavirus infections hit record as Hindu devotees immerse in Ganges
Biden ready to announce U.S. withdrawal, even as peace eludes Afghanistan
15 years of Spotify: How the streaming giant has changed and reinvented the music industry
Guatemalan refuses to appoint graft-fighting top judge

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers