Pompeo ups MH17 pressure


  • World
  • Friday, 21 Jun 2019

Washington: Moscow must ensure those charged with murder over the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 face justice, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said, after international investigators accused three Russians and a Ukrainian over the disaster.

The trial of the four men with military and intelligence links will start in the Netherlands in March next year, although they are likely to be tried in absentia as neither Russia nor Ukraine extradites their nationals.

They would be the first people to face justice over the catastrophe five years ago in which 298 people died.

But Moscow slammed the “absolutely unfounded accusations” over the downing of the plane, which was travelling between Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur when it was hit by a missile over part of eastern Ukraine held by pro-Russian rebels.

The Dutch-led inquiry team

on Wednesday said international arrest warrants had been issued for Russian nationals Igor Girkin, Sergei Dubinsky and Oleg Pulatov, as well as Ukrainian Leonid Kharchenko, all of whom are suspected of roles in the separatist Donetsk People’s Republic.

Dutch prosecutor Fred Westerbeke said the four were to be held responsible for bringing the BUK missile system from Russia into eastern Ukraine “even though they have not pushed the button themselves”.

“We won’t demand their extradition because Russian and Ukrainian law forbids the extradition of their nationals.

“But we ask Russia once more to cooperate -- many of our questions remain unanswered,” he told a press conference.

The same investigation team said in May 2018 that the BUK anti-aircraft missile that hit the Boeing 777 originated from the 53rd Russian military brigade based in the southwestern city of Kursk.

Pompeo welcomed the charges, saying: “We call upon Russia to... ensure that any indicted individuals currently in Russia face justice”.

Relatives of those killed aboard MH17 also welcomed the news.

“It’s a start. I’m satisfied,” Silene Fredriksz, whose son and daughter-in-law were killed in the disaster, told reporters.

“I am happy that the trial is finally going to start and that the names have been announced.”

Asked if she personally blamed anyone for the crash, Fredriksz said: “Mr (Russian President Vladimir) Putin.

“Because he made this possible. He created this situation. He is the main responsible person.”

Piet Ploeg, president of a Dutch victims’ association who lost three family members on MH17, said that it was “very important news”.

“The relatives of the victims have been waiting for this for nearly five years,” he said.

Girkin, 48, is the most high­-profile suspect, having previously been the self-proclaimed defence minister in the self-proclaimed Donetsk Peo­ple’s Republic in eastern Ukraine before apparently falling out with the Kremlin.

Girkin, who is thought to be living in Moscow, denied the separatists were involved. “I can only say that rebels did not shoot down the Boeing,” he told Russia’s Interfax news agency.

Dubinskiy, 56, who was formerly in the Russian military intelligence agency GRU, was head of the intelligence service of the Donetsk People’s Republic, while Pulatov, 52, an ex-soldier in the GRU’s Spetsnaz special forces unit, was one of his deputies.

Kharchenko was a military commander in Donetsk at the time, the Dutch prosecutors said. — AFP

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online