MUMBAI: A 32-year-old man died after he got sucked into a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machine at a hospital in Mumbai on Saturday (Jan 27).
The man, identified as Rajesh Maru, was carrying an oxygen cylinder as he accompanied his elderly relative into the MRI room at BYL Nair Charitable Hospital, reported The Statesman newspaper.
Maru's brother-in-law, Harish Solanki, said a ward boy told them it was fine to bring in the cylinder. However, objects containing metals are not allowed inside the MRI room as they could be pulled by the machine's powerful magnet.
"When we told him that metallic things aren't allowed inside an MRI room, he said 'sab chalta hai, hamara roz ka kaam hai' (it's fine, we do it every day). He also said that the machine was switched off. The doctor as well as the technician didn't say anything," Solanki said.
Eyewitnesses said Maru was pulled into the machine with great force.
"As soon as Rajesh entered with the cylinder, it turned out that the machine was on. He was sucked in and his hand got stuck there. His body swelled up and he couldn't speak. It's because of their carelessness that Rajesh died," Solanki was quoted as saying by NDTV.
Maru was reportedly bleeding heavily when he was pulled away. He was rushed to the emergency ward where he died within 10 minutes.
BJP lawmaker Mangal Prabhat Lodha has demanded compensation and stern action against those responsible for Maru's death, according to NDTV.
A police case has been filed against the hospital's doctor Siddhant Shah, ward boy Vitthal Chavan and ward attendant Sunita Surve for causing death by negligence. All three were arrested yesterday, reported ANI.
The hospital's dean, Dr Ramesh Bharmal, said they are conducting an inquiry into the incident. - The Statesman/Asia News Network