Ex-1MDB CEO baffled why company dropped suit


KUALA LUMPUR: Former 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) chief executive officer Datuk Shahrol Azral Ibrahim Halmi told the High Court that he had no idea why the company dropped him from its US$5.64bil civil suit.

The 56-year-old, testifying as the fourth plaintiff witness, said he did not strike any deal with the government to be removed from the suit and was not given any explanation for the decision.

He revealed the information during cross-examination by lawyer GK Ganesan, who represents former 1MDB investment director Kelvin Tan Kay Jin, the seventh defendant in the suit, yesterday, Bernama reported.

Ganesan: You were originally sued in this action?

Shahrol Azral: Correct.

When Ganesan asked if his name was later removed from the suit, Shahrol Azral confirmed it but said he had no idea why.

When Ganesan asked if he had signed any consent judgment with 1MDB after being removed as a defendant, Shahrol Azral confirmed that he had not entered into any such agreement with the company.

He also denied suggestions by Nur Syafinaz Vani Abdullah, lawyer for the fifth defendant, former director of investments and chief investment officer Vincent Beng Huat Koh, that he was trying to shift blame to everyone else while clearing himself in the multi-billion-ringgit sovereign wealth fund scandal.

Earlier, Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s counsel, Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah, told the court the defence needs four days to cross-examine Shahrol Azral.

The other lawyers representing the remaining defendants said they would each need at least two hours to do so.

The court then proceeded with Shahrol Azral’s cross-examination by counsel for the other defendants.

1MDB and its subsidiaries – 1MDB Energy Holdings Limited, 1MDB Energy Limited, 1MDB Energy (Langat) Limited and Global Diversified Investment Company Limited, formerly known as 1MDB Global Investments Limited – filed the civil suit on May 7, 2021.

They named former prime minister Najib, 1MDB’s former finance director Terrence Geh Choh Heng, former executive director Casey Tang Keng Chee, former general counsel Jasmine Loo Ai Swan, Beng, former chief financial officer Radhi Mohamad, Tan and former chief investment officer Nik Faisal Ariff Kamil as defendants.

Last week, 1MDB dropped its civil suit against Radhi, with no liberty to refile. The company had previously removed Loo from the case as well.

The writ of summons stated that the plaintiffs, among other things, accused the defendants of breach of trust, breach of statutory duty, abuse of power and conspiracy to misappropriate 1MDB funds. The trial resumes today.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Easy returns put shoppers at ease
Mat Sabu: Grain maize cultivation to be ramped up
Stop using divisive political rhetoric, leaders urged
Environment pays the price for ‘free returns’ convenience
Redefining independence through art
Transport price drop eases July inflation
Residential areas off limits
Four men charged with murder of businessman
RM200 Madani F1 tickets sold out, says minister
Safer roads pay long-term dividends, say economists

Others Also Read