Cops who refuse to take police reports can be sacked, Dewan Rakyat told


KUALA LUMPUR: Police officers who refuse to accept police reports from the public can be sacked, says Deputy Home Minister Datuk Seri Shamsul Anuar Nasarah.

He said police officers, as civil servants, are bound by the Public Officers (Conduct and Discipline) Regulations 1993.

"If there is non-compliance with any of the orders issued, action can be taken here in tandem with the internal mechanisms of the police force.

"This is monitored through district and state police headquarters as well as through internal audits.

"Failure to fulfil any requirement in an issued order, including not accepting a police report, is seen as a serious offence and those involved face possible sacking," he said during question time in the Dewan Rakyat on Monday (Feb 23).

Ramkarpal Singh (PH-Bukit Gelugor) had asked if the government intends to introduce legislation mandating all police stations to receive police reports regardless of the complainant's dressing.

This follows instances where complainants involved in motor accidents could not enter police stations to lodge reports because of their clothing.

Shamsul Anuar added that dress codes at police stations can be omitted in emergency situations or for those requiring immediate attention.

This includes cases with criminal elements, road accidents, safety threats and situations that can potentially result in trauma such as rape and theft, among others.

This had been relayed to all district and state police headquarters in December, he added.

"The aim is to ensure that implementation is uniform and clearly understood by all officers. The ministry also views that this order is sufficient and enforced immediately nationwide," he said.

He added that the Public Administration Circular (PKPA) 1/2025: Strengthening Public Sector Customer Relationship Management also allows all ministries and agencies to determine the suitable dress code at their offices.

"We will continue monitoring its overall implementation and will not hesitate to improve it, where needed," he said, adding that the police received about four million reports last year.

"More importantly, we have informed all our personnel and the rakyat of the procedures," he added.

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Penang police bust drug syndicate, seize RM88,000 worth of narcotics
Pressure on neck caused death of seven-month-old, says Seremban OCPD
Steamboat chain manager charged with CBT involving RM1.5mil
Grace period until June 22 for errant employers to register, says PERKESO
75-year-old pleads not guilty to reckless driving charge in Klang hit-and-run case
High Court stays drug price marking order pending judicial review filed by MMA
Three scam syndicates busted in Puchong raids, 29 foreign nationals arrested
Malay unity should not be misinterpreted, mutual respect strengthens nation stability, says S'gor Ruler
Prisons Dept grants 795 inmates conditional release ahead of festive season
ASP's fatal fall was an accident, says S'gor police chief

Others Also Read