Vape crackdown nets RM9mil


Serious about enforcement: Comm Fisol speaking during the press conference on the ­operation at Bukit Aman, Kuala Lumpur. — FAIHAN GHANI/The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: A nationwide crackdown on the vape trade has led to the seizure of almost RM9mil worth of e-cigarette products and related items under Ops E-Cig Mega.

Bukit Aman Internal Security and Public Order Department deputy director Comm Datuk Fisol Salleh said the operation, launched on Feb 10, was conducted jointly with the Health Ministry, the Domestic Trade and Cost of Living Ministry, local authorities, the Inland Revenue Board and the General Operations Force, ­targeting premises involved in the sale and distribution of vape products.

“Ops E-Cig Mega involved 2,140 officers and personnel from various agencies. A total of 154 premises were targeted and 141 were inspected,” he told reporters at Bukit Aman.

Total seizures amounted to RM8.876mil, comprising nearly one million litres vape liquid worth RM4.6mil, and vape devices valued at RM4.11mil, along with related equipment.

Police also issued RM330,200 in compound notices. A total of 181 individuals were screened and four arrests made, including one case of obstructing a public servant in Johor and two involving immigration offences.

Comm Fisol said enforcement remains challenging as e-cigarettes are being sold widely, not only at physical outlets but also through online platforms.

“There is widespread sale of electronic cigarettes, including online. That is one of the challenges from an enforcement perspective,” he said, adding that vape liquids and devices permitted for sale must obtain approval from the Health Ministry.

He said enforcement is further complicated by traders resuming operations after raids.

“We conduct seizures, but some will resume selling again. This is similar to issues involving smuggled cigarettes,” he said.

From a public health standpoint, he said e-cigarettes pose serious risks, particularly to the respiratory and cardiovascular systems.

“Continuous exposure to harmful chemicals and high nicotine content can lead to prolonged addiction and adversely affect health,” he added.

The Health Ministry previously reported in a media statement on Nov 6, 2025, that treatment costs for vape-related lung injuries, known as Evali, reached about RM223.5mil in 2024, with the average cost per patient estimated at over RM150,000, exceeding revenue collected from vape excise duties.

Comm Fisol stressed that the sale of vape products to those below 18 is prohibited, noting that the small size of some vape devices makes it easier for students to conceal and bring into schools.

“More worrying is the presence of unregistered products in the market, which increases the risk of misuse and endangers the safety of teenagers and youths,” he said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Woman killed, two injured in Chinese New Year crash near Bukit Beruntung
Ipoh floods: 26 people sheltered at Al Ghufron mosque
JPJ issues over 7,000 notices to motorcyclists during 2026 CNY special operation
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan extend CNY greetings
Clean up after fireworks or face the music, revellers reminded
No ang pow, but new bonds for PLKN trainees
Bersatu turmoil deepens as divisions seek dissolution
Early CNY gift for historic Chinese village
Four groups to benefit from Second Chance policy
Governance overhaul marches on

Others Also Read