MCMC made 25 takedown requests for harmful content under Onsa


KUALA LUMPUR: At least 25 content takedown requests have been made against harmful online content so far this year under the new Online Safety Act (Onsa), says the Communications Ministry.

The ministry said of the 25 requests issued by the Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC), 24 or 96% have been successful as of Jan 27.

To further support the enforcement of Onsa, the ministry said other subsidiary legislations are expected to come into force by the second quarter of 2026.

This includes new regulations on compounding of offences, online safety plan regulations and other features of private messaging.

MCMC is also in the process of finalising new codes relating to compliance obligations by application service providers and content application service providers under Onsa.

These codes are aimed at reducing the risk of exposure to harmful content and to ensure safe use by children and will undergo a public consultation process prior to enforcement.

Guidelines relating to the preservation and disclosure of communications data for investigation purposes are also currently being drafted, it said in a parliamentary written reply dated Wednesday (Jan 28).

The ministry was responding to a question from Datuk Dr Richard Rapu @ Aman Begri (GPS-Betong) on the status of enforcement of Onsa and actions taken against non-compliant platforms.

Onsa, otherwise known as Act 666, came into force on Jan 1 with the aim of enhancing online safety for children by targeting high-risk content such as child sex abuse material, pornographic content and potentially self-harm inducing content.

Licensed service providers that do not comply with the law can face up to RM10mil in financial penalties.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Bid to freeze Daim family’s RM548mil fails
Experts welcome Child Protection Code but worry over data risks
PAS and Bersatu’s risky rift
Nancy calls for stricter action over Seremban teacher case
Govt working to extend energy supply until December
Time to explore our own backyard
Refuge for strays soon in new Penang sanctuaries
Drug and vape lab busted
No bail for traffickers
PM: Energy supply is sufficient

Others Also Read