Akmal to reveal decision today


KUALA LUMPUR: Umno Youth chief Datuk Dr Muhamad Akmal Saleh will make an announcement on his status at the party’s general assembly today, says party president Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.

“We have met earlier and I have given him my advice. He will make an announcement tomorrow (today),” he said.

Dr Muhamad Akmal had previously hinted at stepping aside from his position after his call for Umno to withdraw from the unity government received a negative reaction from the party presi- dent.

On Monday, Dr Muhamad Akmal said he will abide by the decisions made by Umno president and Melaka Chief Minister Datuk Seri Ab Rauf Yusoh regarding the positions he currently holds.

The Merlimau assemblyman is also an exco member of the Melaka government.

In a separate post, Dr Muhamad Akmal said he had shared all his intentions and feelings with the Umno president.

“Thank you, Datuk Seri Zahid Hamidi for your advice and for your willingness to listen.

“God-willing, may this be what is best for the struggle for religion, race, the country as well as for Umno,” he said.

Separately, Ahmad Zahid said Umno will arrange a cooperation strategy on working with Bersatu, only if the situation requires it.

“The appropriate strategy will be drafted, if and only if, it is needed,” he said when responding to a question on the possible cooperation between the two Malay-based parties.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Anwar takes over Pandan as adopted constituency
Supporters gather in KLIA to welcome Global Sumud Flotilla activists’ return
Shots fired at suspects attempting to ram policemen
Traffic builds up on major highways as holiday travellers return
Malaysian citizen confirmed dead in Philippine building collapse
Bersatu claims PAS failed to work together to resolve Perlis, NS crises
Two killed in road collision near Bagan Serai
We are the moderate brand that gave you votes, Bersatu tells PAS off
Don’t poke into our internal affairs, Bersatu tells PAS
Defence Ministry mulling offers to replace cancelled Norwegian missile deal

Others Also Read