Roblox rage blamed for slashing


Boy accused of attacking younger brother over lost points in game

JOHOR BARU: Police are investigating a disturbing case in Batu Pahat involving a nine-year-old boy who allegedly attacked his six-year-old brother after experiencing hallucinations believed to be linked to the online game Roblox.

Johor police chief Comm Datuk Ab Rahaman Arsad said the incident occurred on Monday at Kam­pung Parit Nipah Laut in Parit Raja, where the younger boy was found with slash wounds on his neck and stab injuries on his body.

“Preliminary investigations revealed that the nine-year-oldboy, who is the victim’s elder brother, had been playing Roblox excessively and had collected about a million points in the game.

“The boy’s mobile phone was damaged by the younger brother, which allegedly caused the loss of those points. Following that, the boy is believed to have suffered hallucinations related to the game and claimed he was told to harm his family,” Comm Ab Rahaman said yesterday.

Under the influence of hallucinations, the boy allegedly took a knife from the house and attacked his younger brother.

“He is currently receiving treatment at Batu Pahat Hospital and is in stable condition,” he said.

Comm Ab Rahaman said the parents of the two boys, both in their 40s, were arrested to assist in investigations.

“Both parents were held as we believe they have knowledge of the incident,” he said, adding they have been remanded until today.

Comm Ab Rahaman said police had also recorded statements from other family members, including a 15-year-old sister.

Investigations are still in the early stages and police have yet to record the victim’s statement as he has not fully recovered.

Both boys are currently under the care of the Social Welfare Department.

“They are under supervision and (the older boy) cannot be detained like a criminal,” Comm Ab Rahaman said, adding that the case has been referred to the Johor State Legal Adviser’s Office for further action.

“At this stage, our investigation is focused on the family and on determining the actual cause of the incident,” he added.

The victim’s mother lodged a report on Monday, stating that her youngest son had suffered injuries to the neck.

She made the discovery around 5.30am after waking up at their home.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Inspector among 10 GOF members held in Penang e-waste factory extortion probe
Three batches of Chomel hand sanitiser banned due to excessive methanol levels, says Health Ministry
Rapid KL rail, selected bus services to run 24 hours for National Day
Babysitter fined RM2,000 for injuring 21-month-old toddler in Melaka
Charity concert returns to San Choon Hall, all 70 tables sold out
Pre-emptive action needed to block entry of synthetic opioid into Sabah, says assemblyman
Leading property agencies join forces to reimagine property ownership in the AI era
Corruption is corruption, not an issue of race or religion, says Anwar
Haze concerns during National Day celebrations to be raised with Cabinet, says Arthur
Six individuals deny kidnapping Singaporean duo in JB

Others Also Read