Floods: Sabah agrofood sector hit with RM2.2mil in losses


KOTA KINABALU: Sabah's agrofood sector suffered over RM2.2mil in losses because of floods that hit several districts recently.

Agriculture and Food Security Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Sabu (pic) said the final amount was being assessed by a technical committee at the departmental and agency level.

This is to be done before applications to the Agriculture Disaster Fund and Fisheries and Livestock Assistance Fund can be approved, he added.

“So far we have 109 farmers affected with padi fields covering 113.43ha involving RM519,963 in losses,” he said after visiting flood-hit areas in Papar near here on Tuesday (Sept 23).

As for farms with crops such as pineapples, chili and vegetables, the losses were around RM748,200 with 61 planters and 78.95ha affected, he added.

He said the livestock sector saw 23 operators affected with losses amounting to RM504,350 from livestock deaths and infrastructure damage.

A total of 51 fishermen and fish pond operators were hit with over RM208,790 in losses, while 58 agricultural entrepreneurs faced around RM257,000 in losses, he added.

Mohamad urged those affected by floods and landslides to report their losses to the technical committee in charge or to the federal and state agencies involved.

He said the relevant officials are on the ground conducting assessments and taking a census of losses and other matters, but some cases could be overlooked.

“So please come forward and provide details so that we can help where applicable," he added.

Mohamad said the government had allocated RM25mil for the Agriculture Disaster Fund under Budget 2025, with RM15.9mil approved for disbursal nationwide.

He said nine relief applications have been received from Penampang, Putatan, Kudat, Beaufort, Ranau and Tenom in Sabah, with total approved assistance worth RM212,271.

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Severe rain warning issued for several areas in Sabah
INTERACTIVE: A peek into the balik kampung exodus
Road safety experts: Smart lanes a double-edged sword
Suspected bank fraud alert ends in surprise Lunar New Year joy
Stable meal prices despite festive rush
Land tax hikes explained
Search efforts end as second drowning victim found
Washed ashore, but still dangerous
Never too young to fast
RM2.15mil in e-waste seized

Others Also Read