Malaysian Bar hands memo on judicial independence to PMO


PUTRAJAYA: The Malaysian Bar has delivered the memorandum on safeguarding judicial independence to the Prime Minister’s Office, according to its president Mohamad Ezri Abdul Wahab.

Lawyers, including leading figures from the Malaysian Bar, staged a “Walk to Safeguard Judicial Independence” on Monday (July 14) afternoon, proceeding from the Palace of Justice to the Prime Minister’s Office.

The event was attended by members of the Bar, chambers and concerned members of the public, according to Ezri.

ALSO READ: Crowd gathers for 'Walk to Safeguard Judicial Independence' 

He said the memorandum was handed to Datuk Zamri Misman, the director-general of the Legal Affairs Division.

“Datuk Zamri was ready and waiting in the office earlier, and has acknowledged receipt of the memorandum,” he told a press conference here on Monday (July 14).

“We saw participation from members of the Bar and people in chambers and members of the public, all united in our call to address the pressing concerns regarding the independence of the judiciary, particularly the ongoing vacancies in the judiciary, the need for institutional continuity and a more transparent and accountable judicial appointment process.”

ALSO READ: Malaysian Bar’s walk aimed at defending judicial integrity, not about politics

Ezri stressed that the walk’s purpose was to uphold the independence of the judiciary, describing it as a prerequisite for a robust democratic system.

He expressed concern over recent media and social media commentary, urging the government “to resolve it as soon as possible”.

Highlighting specific concerns raised in the memorandum, he pointed out the alarming judicial vacancies.

“Among the matters raised is the need to fill the existing vacancies in the judiciary… we were informed that some cases have been scheduled as far ahead as the year 2030, and this will disrupt the functioning of the courts and negatively affect clients,” he said.

He confirmed that the memorandum will also be delivered to the Prime Minister.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Retired policeman found dead in Melaka home
Pipe burst in Butterworth disrupts water supply in Penang
722,151 travellers use Penang airport’s new autogate system since end of December last year
Signs of change on the streets
M’sia set for GDP growth
Analysts:�Voters will feel shortchanged by�resignations
Aqasha to play role of Hang Tuah in musical
Bill seeking to separate AG and PP roles will be re-tabled on June 22
Chua: UEC limited access move nothing earthshaking
King grants audience to Anwar

Others Also Read