KUALA LUMPUR: The application of Tengku Datuk Seri Zafrul Abdul Aziz to PKR has yet to be discussed by the unity government, says Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.
Prime Minister also said that Tengku Zafrul’s position as Investment, Trade and Industry Minister was not affected, given his good performance as minister.
“Tengku Zafrul carried out his task as minister very well. Investments are in the hundreds of billions, and he led his ministry well.
“Now, he chose to apply, but we haven’t discussed anything yet. Let him perform his haj pilgrimage first. Let us refrain from unhealthy interpretations.
“For PKR, surely we have to discuss this with our friends. But, his position as minister is not affected,” said Anwar after attending the Closing Ceremony of the Kuala Lumpur International Book Fair (PBAKL) 2025 at the World Trade Centre (WTC) Kuala Lumpur on Sunday (June 1).
Anwar also denied that there would be a Cabinet reshuffle.
ALSO READ: Tengku Zafrul thanks Umno comrades, affirms decision to join PKR
“Two ministers have resigned, now give them time to reflect on what they want to do. Now they are on leave, and I have already approved their leave. I don’t think we should preempt.
“The government is functioning as usual,” said Anwar.
On Friday (May 30), Tengku Zafrul said he was resigning as Umno supreme council member, a Kota Raja division leader and a party member. He said he will be starting the process of joining PKR.
Tengku Zafrul had quit as Selangor Umno treasurer in April last year, and speculation has been rife since then that he would leave and join PKR.
PKR secretary-general Fuziah Salleh stated that there is no special pathway to join the party and that everyone wishing to join, including Tengku Zafrul, must adhere to the standard procedure.
Tengku Zafrul’s departure from Umno came following Datuk Seri Rafizi Ramli and Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad’s resignations as Economy Minister and Natural Resources and Environmental Sustainability Minister, respectively.
