Childcare centres and kindies urged to do HFMD screenings


PUTRAJAYA: Childcare centre and kindergarten operators have been urged to screen children upon entry, to help curb the spread of hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD).

Deputy Health Minister Datuk Lukanisman Awang Sauni said cooperation from childcare centre and kindergarten operators in conducting screenings, including monitoring for signs of infection on children’s hands, feet and mouth, is crucial to preventing further spread of the disease.

“We advise the public not to panic, as preventative measures are actively being implemented and we already have comprehensive guidelines in place.

“What we need now is community cooperation, especially from childcare centre and kindergarten operators who are at higher risk of HFMD exposure, to at least carry out basic screenings,” he told reporters after launching the Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPG) Management of Erectile Dysfunction here yesterday.

Lukanisman also stressed that parents must practise preventative measures and closely monitor their children to ensure they are not infected with HFMD.

“Early screening can help prevent the infection from spreading to other children,” he said, Bernama reported.

On May 12, Health Ministry reported that as of April 26, a total of 99,601 HFMD cases were recorded nationwide, marking a 266% increase from 27,236 cases during the same period last year.

It said 10,421 cases, or 10%, were linked to outbreaks, while the remaining 89,180 cases occurred sporadically.

The ministry also said that five states recorded the highest number of cases: Selangor (27.2%), followed by Johor (9.9%), Perak (9.4%), Kelantan (7.2%), and the Federal Territories of Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya (6.9%).

Regarding the claim of a potential increase of up to 30% in treatment charges at private hospitals and clinics, Lukanisman said the ministry would investigate the matter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Nancy: We are monitoring the sexual harassment case in Sarawak involving police officer
Mindef to strengthen local defence industry, says Khaled
Woman fined RM2,000 for offering sexual services
Malaysia warns regional nations over Norway defence deals after axed RM1bil missile pact
Johor Barisan's move to contest state election independently not a betrayal of unity govt, says Zambry
Penang litterbugs face street sweeping, drain cleaning from July
Volunteer fire brigades hit back at corruption claims after viral post
Fifteen detained over Bukit Bintang flare incident
Property valuation firm manager loses over RM505,000 in investment scam
Ag Mohd Tahir convicted under anti-money laundering act

Others Also Read