Eight individuals involved in alleged assault to be charged today


JOHOR BARU: Eight individuals involved in a viral video assaulting a man at an apartment in Masai will be charged at the Magistrate’s Court here Friday.

The suspects, comprising seven men and one woman aged between 19 and 26, were arrested at around 2.30am on Monday (April 21) at an apartment in Plentong Baru, Masai.

Earlier, the suspects arrived at the court lobby at 8.40am in a police truck before being escorted to the court lock-up.

Seri Alam OCPD Asst Comm Mohd Sohaimi Ishak was previously quoted as saying the group was arrested following the circulation of a 2-minute, 7-second video showing a group assaulting a man inside a residential unit.

“The video was uploaded on Facebook, and police received a report from the 21-year-old local male victim, who claimed the incident occurred at about 9.30pm on April 18 at an apartment in Plentong Baru, Masai,” he said.

ACP Sohaimi said the victim had gone to the apartment after being invited by a woman he had met on social media.

Upon entering the unit, he was allegedly confined and assaulted by eight individuals.

“As a result of the incident, the victim sustained injuries to his lips and left ear, along with bruises on his body.

“Checks revealed that five of the suspects have prior criminal and drug-related records. Four of them also tested positive for methamphetamine,” he added.

The case is being investigated under Section 342 of the Penal Code for wrongful confinement, Section 385 for extortion, and Section 324 for voluntarily causing hurt with dangerous weapons or means.

The incident has also become a subject of parody on social media, with various AI-generated images being created in connection with the case.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Police , Crime , Court , Viral , Social Media

Next In Nation

RM1.7mil gone in 120 seconds: Robbers took only two minutes to rob Genting goldsmith
Forest fire breaks out near MAIS building in Shah Alam
Putting the rapid in RTS Link: Commuters can clear immigration in seconds, claims project director
Merdeka convoys must prioritise road safety, say police
Police obtain several leads in Seri Tambun shooting case
Man nabbed over threatening Facebook post, sword seized
‘No idea why I was dropped’: Former 1MDB CEO denies striking deal to have name removed from US$5.64bil suit
Increase Budi Diesel quota to 500 litres for Sabahans, urges state PKR Youth
Appeals court upholds RM3.4mil order against former Mara Corp group CEO
Sarawak’s sovereign data platform to strengthen AI capabilities, says Abang Jo

Others Also Read