Kevin Morais murder: Apex court sets March 13 and 14 to hear final appeals


PUTRAJAYA: The Federal Court has set two days in March to hear the final appeals of six individuals convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of deputy public prosecutor Datuk Anthony Kevin Morais in 2015.

Lawyer Jasmine Cheong, representing one of the accused, former pathologist Colonel Dr R.Kunaseegaran, confirmed that the court fixed March 13 and 14 for the hearing of the appeals.

ALSO READ: Kevin Morais murder: Appeals court upholds death sentence for six

A case management session was held on Tuesday (Jan 14) before Federal Court deputy registrar Mahyun Yusof.

The six men – Kunaseegaran, 62; money lender S. Ravi Chandran, 54; and four unemployed men, R. Dinishwaran, 33; AK Thinesh Kumar, 32; M. Vishwanath, 35; and S. Nimalan, 32 – are appealing against the Court of Appeal’s decision, which upheld their conviction for murder and the death sentences handed down by the High Court.

On July 10, 2020, the High Court convicted all of them for the murder of Morais which occurred somewhere along the way from Jalan Dutamas Raya, Sentul to No 1, Jalan USJ1/6D, Subang Jaya between 7am and 8pm on Sept 4, 2015.

Their appeals were dismissed by the Court of Appeal in March last year.

ALSO READ: Kevin Morais murder appeal: Apex court fixes Sept 27 for case management

The appellate three-judge panel held that the murder was carefully planned and the condition of the deceased's body when it was found showed the cruelty of all the accused persons.

Morais was last seen leaving his condominium from Menara Duta, Kuala Lumpur to his office at the Attorney General's Chambers here.

His body was later found in a cement-filled drum thrown into a swamp in Subang Jaya. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Federal Court , Appeal , Murder , Kevin Morais , Hearing

Next In Nation

Johor International Book Bazaar aims for 500,000 visitors, says exco
Police step up patrols after two gold shop robberies in Pahang
Malaysia, Brunei agree to use Asean mechanism to tackle transboundary haze
Education Ministry approves RM2mil for immediate repairs for collapsed SMK Juasseh roof
PAS more interested in foreign policy than Tabung Haji issue, says Fahmi
AUKU repeal to pave way for new higher education law
Government seeking ways to reduce Sabah, Sarawak flight fares
Bomba water bombing to fight Samunsan forest fires
Malaysia-Brunei border issue among matters discussed at ALC-27, says PM Anwar
Haze: 11 areas in S'wak record unhealthy API readings as of 3pm

Others Also Read