AGC: Stop commenting on Najib’s royal addendum order appeal


KUALA LUMPUR: The Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC) has urged all parties to stop making statements that are sub judice in nature concerning Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s royal addendum order appeal.

The AGC said the Court of Appeal had already set Jan 6 to hear Najib’s appeal for leave to commence judicial review proceedings over a purported royal decree that would allow him to serve the rest of his prison sentence under house arrest.

“Therefore, all parties are asked to respect the court proceedings and not issue any statements that are sub judice in nature as the appeal and notice of motion have not been decided by the court,” the AGC said in a statement yesterday.

Najib is appealing against the High Court’s dismissal of his application for leave to initiate judicial review and a notice of motion to submit an additional statement on the royal addendum.

On July 3, the High Court dismissed Najib’s application for leave to commence judicial review on grounds that the affidavits supporting his application were “purely hearsay”.

Najib filed the application for leave for judicial review on April 1.

He named the Home Minister, the Commissioner General of Prisons, the Attorney General, the Federal Territories Pardons Board, the Minister at the Prime Minister’s Department (Law and Institutional Reform), director-general of the legal affairs at the Prime Minister’s Department and the government as the first until the seventh respondents, respectively.

In the notice of application, Najib sought a mandamus order that all of the respondents or one of them to answer and verify the existence of the addendum order dated Jan 29.

Najib is seeking a mandamus order where if the addendum order exists, all or one of the respondents must execute the royal order and immediately move him from the Kajang Prison to his residence in Kuala Lumpur where he would serve his remaining sentence under house arrest.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Immigration Dept detains 24 foreigners in anti-prostitution raid
Fuel prices May 21-27: Diesel, unsubsidised RON95, RON97 prices increased
IJM Corp share acquisition: Two individuals under MACC investigation
Royal Press Office urges stern action over fake TikTok account impersonating, insulting King
Malaysia awaiting results of Saudi probe into detention of five Malaysians in Mecca
MACC seeks AGC's assistance to contact individuals in Taiwan, UK on RM1.1bil investment case
Govt urged to include tour buses under diesel subsidy scheme
No need for by-elections for Pandan and Setiawangsa, says EC
Coroner's court: Uncle describes close bond between Zara Qairina, mother
Selangor PBM members quit because 'promises never materialised', says Sng

Others Also Read