PM sets mid-December deadline to resolve delays in MyDigital ID and 5G rollout


PUTRAJAYA: The Prime Minister has issued a mid-December deadline for resolving delays in two key national digital initiatives: the MyDigital ID programme and the rollout of the dual 5G network, says Fahmi Fadzil.

The Communications Minister said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim expressed concern over the slow progress of MyDigital ID, with only 1.319 million registrations as of 1pm on Dec 5.

"The Prime Minister feels this figure is still too low and has emphasised the need to intensify efforts," Fahmi said during the ministry’s weekly press briefing here on Friday (Dec 6).

He added that a two-week period was granted from the last National Digital Economy and Fourth Industrial Revolution Council meeting for stakeholders to address the underlying issues and formulate strategies to boost registration numbers.

On the dual 5G network initiative, Fahmi said delays stemmed from outstanding agreements between Digital Nasional Berhad (DNB) and telecommunications companies.

This holdup, he said, impacted the tender process for the second network, which is restricted to telcos that have signed shareholding agreements.

He said DNB has also been tasked with submitting an updated business plan to the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission for review, including plans for additional spectrum allocation.

"While DNB requested an extension until January, the Prime Minister has insisted this process must be completed within the current month," he said.

Fahmi said U Mobile had already presented its business plan earlier this week, and DNB is expected to follow suit by next week.

"The Prime Minister feels these issues should be addressed with greater urgency," Fahmi said, highlighting the importance of moving both initiatives forward promptly.

Fahmi said the Prime Minister also apologised to attendees during the meeting, describing his dissatisfaction with the delays as "very out of character" and reiterated the need for swift progress on these critical initiatives.

On Thursday (Dec 5), Anwar expressed disappointment over the delays, describing it as negligent and a hindrance to the nation’s efforts in realising its digital transformation agenda.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
 Fahmi Fadzil , MyDigital ID , Anwar Ibrahim , DNB , 5G , Telco , MCMC

Next In Nation

Car destroyed in fire after crash near Mid Valley
Veteran lawyer Chew Swee Yoke, pioneer of KL legal aid, passed away at 81
Jais to tighten religious school teachers' screening to ensure student safety
Foreign worker applications now fully online, says HR Ministry
Police seize phone of PAS chief Hadi Awang’s Facebook admin
Strengthen TVET to produce skilled, competitive workforce
Anwar receives royal honour from Brunei Sultan
Sabah Day provides platform to appreciate state’s history, identity and culture
Woman killed by falling pole after driver crashes into Cheras food court
Sabah working on reviving idle padi land using modern technology, Jamawi

Others Also Read