Siti Bainun’s request to postpone sentence denied


KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court here has dismissed an application by Rumah Bonda founder Siti Bainun Ahd Razali to postpone the execution of a 12-year prison sentence for neglecting and abusing a girl with Down syndrome, known as Bella, three years ago.

Justice Azhar Abdul Hamid made the decision after lawyer Asyraaf Abu Bakar Hamzah, representing Siti Bainun, 32, informed the court that the defence intended to withdraw the application.

During the proceedings, Asyraaf said Siti Bainun wanted to withdraw the application at the High Court here that was filed on June 6 last year.

“We want to focus on the appeal at the Court of Appeal in Putrajaya,” he said yesterday, Sinar Harian reported.

Deputy public prosecutor Syajaratudur Abd Rahman prosecuted.

The date for the appeal to set aside the conviction and sentence at the Court of Appeal has not yet been set.

On May 2 last year, Justice Noorin Badaruddin (now a Court of Appeal judge) upheld the conviction and 12-year prison sentence against Siti Bainun.

Facing the law: Siti Bainun was charged with neglecting and abusing the victim.
Facing the law: Siti Bainun was charged with neglecting and abusing the victim.

She made the decision after rejecting her appeal to set aside the conviction and sentence handed down by the Sessions Court here in May 2023. However, the judge directed the defence to file a new application to suspend the execution of the prison sentence if necessary.

On May 3, 2023, Sessions Court judge Izralizam Sanusi sentenced Siti Bainun to 12 years in prison after finding her guilty on two charges of neglecting and abusing Bella, 13.

The court ordered the defendant to serve the sentence immediately at Kajang Prison after rejecting her application to postpone the sentence.

The court also ordered the accused to sign a good behaviour bond for five years with one guarantor and set bail of RM5,000.

Siti Bainun was charged with neglecting and abusing the victim, causing the teenage girl with Down syndrome to suffer physical and emotional injuries in a condominium unit in Wangsa Maju between February and June 2021.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Cops open murder probe after body found in Sungai Perak
Tahfiz teacher arrested for sexual assault, abuse of two boys
Zayn Rayyan case: Sept 28 set for Ismanira’s appeal decision
Indonesia foils attempt to smuggle 75.7 tonnes of tin sand to Malaysia
Agriculture and Food Security Ministry to cut import reliance amid geopolitical uncertainties
No procession for Sarawak Maulidur Rasul celebration amid haze, hot weather
Immigration lorry crash: Investigation paper to be referred to AGC on Aug 20
Cops seize over 50,000 litres of misappropriated diesel during Puchong raid
Seven-day remand for man suspected of setting woman on fire
Budget 2027: Penang urges govt to commit to establishing new financial centre

Others Also Read