Cops investigating death threat against whistleblower


KUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Aman will investigate the death threat towards a whistleblower who revealed a corruption scandal involving a state official.

The death threat was received via a WhatsApp call on Monday (Nov 11).

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Razarudin Husain said the 36-year-old man, who works as a contractor, received the death threat when he was at a restaurant in Kuala Lumpur at about 11.02pm on Monday.

"A man, who claimed to be from a group of hitmen, called the victim for 16 seconds and threatened him.

"He claimed to have received an order to kill the victim within 24 hours if he doesn't stop talking about the corruption scandal," he said when contacted on Wednesday (Nov 13).

The IGP said the caller also sent a photo showing a pistol and bullets, along with another photo of someone lying on the ground after being shot.

"The victim was worried about his safety and lodged a police report at Sentul police station," he said.

Razarudin said the case is classified under Section 507 of the Penal Code.

"The case is being investigated by Bukit Aman CID's Special Investigation Unit (USJT)," he said.

Previously, a 17-second video uploaded by a portal allegedly captured a voice conversation involving a Sabah assemblyman and a contractor regarding corrupt activities.

The assemblyman's voice is alleged to be Sindumin assemblyman Datuk Dr Yusof Yacob, who has since urged the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to probe the recent allegations of corruption involving him.

A news portal recently revealed eight video recordings linking several assemblymen allegedly discussing bribes worth hundreds of thousands of ringgit up to RM4mil in return for securing projects in a state.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Fatal crash sparks calls for stricter rules on enforcement vehicles
China company eyes working with Sabah GLCs to develop biomass energy
Personal grudge believed to be motive behind woman being doused with petrol, set alight, say cops
Death of Rocky: Selangor top cop advises against gathering ahead of man’s court charges tomorrow
Victims were in ‘safe’ area when hit by Immigration truck, say cops
Nearly 15,000 notices issued for minor littering offences nationwide, says Nga
Jendela Phase 2 must deliver reliable Internet, not just more towers, says Sabah minister
Unemployed man pleads guilty to injuring stepdaughter and infant daughter
Minimum wage review does not automatically mean pay hike, says UNI-MLC
Firefighters save 162 houses after blaze destroys 28 homes in Sandakan water village

Others Also Read