Be mindful of the impact of your words, Selangor Ruler reminds Sanusi


PETALING JAYA: Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah (pic) has accepted an apology from Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor but reminded him to be mindful of the consequences of his remarks in the future.

The Sultan of Selangor said Sanusi’s apology was considered and accepted in the name of the Muslim spirit of brotherhood.

“I do not want Muslims to be at odds with one another and we, as Muslims, must always forgive if there is sincerity in asking for forgiveness,” read a letter posted via the Selangor Royal Office yesterday.

The Selangor Ruler also told the Kedah Mentri Besar to maintain decorum and civility, avoid being emotional, and not use inappropriate language when addressing the public, especially in Selangor.

“I do not want the people, particularly in Selangor, to be influenced by the hard words and baseless accusations from leaders,” said His Royal Highness.

“Good behaviour and appropriate language are crucial for your political future.”

“As a leader, you must consider the consequences of your actions.”

Tuanku also sent out best wishes to Sanusi in exercising his duties.

“I wish for your continued success and may there be ease in fulfilling your duties and responsibilities,” said the Sultan of Selangor.

Sanusi issued a public apology yesterday over his remarks during the state election campaign in Selayang in July last year.

He got into hot water after allegedly belittling the Sultan of Selangor for having appointed Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari as Mentri Besar.

Sanusi gave his word that he would be more careful in making any statement in future and ensure that his speech is in line with Malay customs, which are highly respectful of the Malay Rulers and the royal institution.

The Jeneri assemblyman and PAS national election director had previously sent a letter of apology to the Ruler shortly after his speech, including what he said was an explanation of how the speech had been “spun” to defame him.

Sanusi had said the letter was sent to the Selangor palace as he needed to explain his side of the story, claiming that parts of his speech on July 11 last year were “deliberately twisted”.

Sanusi was charged a day later with making the seditious remarks but had pleaded not guilty.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Anwar takes over Pandan as adopted constituency
Supporters gather in KLIA to welcome Global Sumud Flotilla activists’ return
Shots fired at suspects attempting to ram policemen
Traffic builds up on major highways as holiday travellers return
Malaysian citizen confirmed dead in Philippine building collapse
Bersatu claims PAS failed to work together to resolve Perlis, NS crises
Two killed in road collision near Bagan Serai
We are the moderate brand that gave you votes, Bersatu tells PAS off
Don’t poke into our internal affairs, Bersatu tells PAS
Defence Ministry mulling offers to replace cancelled Norwegian missile deal

Others Also Read