Over 300 S’gor eateries shut down over hygiene violations


Taste test: Lukanisman sampling food during his visit to a booth at the 2024 World Food Safety Day event in KLIA. With him is Selangor Health director Dr Ummi Kalthom Shamsudin. — ART CHEN/The Star

SEPANG: The Health Ministry has shut down 334 eateries in Selangor since 2022 for various violations related to food safety and hygiene, says Datuk Lukanisman Awang Sauni.

The Deputy Health Minister said between 2022 and June this year, the ministry had conducted 6,179 inspections under an initiative called Ops Clean Premises.

Eateries found to have breached the Food Hygiene Regulations 2009 were ordered to cease business, he said.

Speaking at the launch of the 2024 World Food Safety Day at the KL International Airport (KLIA) here yesterday, Lukanisman said, “Food poisoning cases are among the challenges that demand attention as they often leave a huge impact on society. There must be consistent intervention (by the authorities) to ensure such occurrences are minimised.”

He added that the ministry was also turning to the use of artificial intelligence (AI) in promoting food safety awareness across the country.

“I also urge the public to adopt the practice of ‘look, smell and taste’ when it comes to food to lower the risk of food poisoning.”

On another matter, Lukanisman said so far, there were no new cases of mpox reported in the country.

He said of the 62 suspected cases, there was only one positive case while 59 were negative and two others were under observation pending further laboratory tests.

Lukanisman said as there was a limited supply of mpox vaccines, it was only being administered to healthcare staff tasked with managing cases or suspected cases of the disease.

“We will intensify screenings at checkpoints. The sole patient with the disease is in isolation and being treated.

“The public should be aware that the disease spreads through those engaging in certain risky behaviour.

“We also advise operators of spas and beauty salons to be watchful and take preventive steps when offering their services,” he added.

Earlier, the deputy minister presented certificates of recognition to the operators of 96 eateries at KLIA and KLIA2 for maintaining high standards of hygiene.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

AG, Public Prosecutor separation Bill to be re-tabled June 22, says Azalina
PKR can prove Rafizi and Nik Nazmi joined Bersama before vacating seats, says sec-gen
Three South Koreans plead not guilty to kidnapping, demanding nearly RM40mil ransom
Court to decide on Zizie Izette’s graft case on July 20
Job placement for registered refugees to help ease critical workforce issues, says Saifuddin
S'wak to teach Computer Science and Design in English from 2029
Cops submit investigation papers of fatal Petaling Jaya crash to AGC
Smugglers turn to rivers, coastal routes amid tighter controls, cops say
Speaker officially notified of Samsuri's appointment as Opposition Leader
King presents instruments of appointment to 15 envoys

Others Also Read