Schools’ response to mpox to heed Health Ministry’s advice, says Fadhlina


SABAK BERNAM: Any steps by the Education Ministry to prevent the spread of mpox in schools will depend on the Health Ministry’s advice, says Education Minister Fadhlina Sidek.

“For anything to do with health issues, viruses or spread of diseases, we will act on the advice of the Health Ministry,” she said after attending the project handing over ceremony for SMK Bagan Terap and SK Sungai Hj Dorani here today (Aug 19).

Malaysia is on high alert following the World Health Organisation declaring mpox (formerly called monkey pox) a public health emergency of international concern on Aug 14.

On another matter, Fadhlina said the ministry views the actions of a teacher who put the picture of Chinese army personnel on a Merdeka poster “very seriously”.

She said stern action will be taken after investigations are completed by their Integrity Unit.

Recently, a secondary school’s scrapbook competition poster, which allegedly used a Chinese military propaganda photo, went viral on social media and sparked widespread anger.

The teacher who designed the poster had allegedly used stock photos sourced from the internet as promotional material for the competition without knowing what it was.

As for the upcoming Budget 2025 expected to be tabled in October, Fadhlina said that the ministry plans to use its allocation for the Education Reformation agenda which includes expanding preschool access, carrying out interventions for special needs children and others in need, and improving science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) and digital learning and access.

Allocations for the Education Ministry and the Higher Education Ministry have historically been among the largest under the national budget.

She added that the new education blueprint will also be part of the new Budget.

“We hope the Budget will be an injection that will enable us to soar further,” she said.

During the ceremony, Works Minister Alexander Nanta Linggi said the project at SMK Bagan Terap involved tearing down and replacing six special education classes, teachers’ room, toilets, cooking room, recreation room, self-management room and workshop at the cost of RM3.77mil.

The new building is to provide a comfortable and conducive learning environment for special needs children where previously, they made do with studying in modified containers, he said.

He added that the project at SK Sungai Hj Dorani was to replace very old buildings with new classrooms that can be converted into a hall, and toilets for mainstream and special needs students.

His speech was read by Works Ministry deputy secretary-general (policy and development) Datuk Zahrul Hakim Abdullah.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre
DAP members, leaders must respect outcome of special congress, says Chow
Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister

Others Also Read