Trial to proceed for MACC officer, ‘Datuk Roy’


KUALA LUMPUR: The trial of a Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) officer and a businessman known as “Datuk Roy” will proceed as they failed to get the Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC) to review their charges of soliciting and receiving bribes amounting to RM640,000.

The amount was said to be an inducement to ensure former prime minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin’s son was not remanded by the anti-graft body.

Bernama reported deputy public prosecutor Farah Ezlin Yusop Khan as telling Sessions Court Judge Suzana Hussin here yesterday that the AGC dismissed the representation filed on July 1 by Mohd Rasyidi Mohd Said, 44, and Datuk Roy, 55, on Thursday.

The judge then maintained the trial dates that had been set on Aug 8 and 9.

At the proceedings yesterday, which was set for mention, Mohd Rasyidi and Datuk Roy – whose real name is Mohd Hussein Mohd Nasir – were represented by lawyer Ariff Azami Hussein.

They were jointly charged with corruptly asking for bribes amounting to RM400,000 from Siti Dalena Berhan, 47, as an inducement not to remand Datuk Fakhri Yassin Mahiaddin during MACC’s investigation.

The offence was allegedly committed at a restaurant in Bangsar here between 9pm and 11pm on March 5 last year.

The two accused are also charged with accepting bribes amounting to RM240,000 from Syed Farid Syed Al Attas, 41, as an inducement for MACC not to remand the same person during the investigation.

That offence was allegedly committed at a fast food outlet in Desa Sri Hartamas here between 2pm and 4pm on March 6 last year.

They were charged under Section 16 (a) (A) of the MACC Act 2009, punishable under Section 24 of the same Act, which carries up to 20 years in jail and a fine of not less than five times the amount of the bribe or RM10,000, whichever is higher, upon conviction.Mohd Hussein was also charged with soliciting bribes of RM2mil from Siti Dalena and Syed Farid.

The bribe allegedly sought was an inducement to change the corruption charges against Adam Radlan Adam Muhammad to a lighter one, change his statement to one as given as a witness and lower his bail amount.

The offence under Section 16 (a) (A) of the MACC Act 2009 was allegedly committed in Kampung Melayu Kepong here in February last year.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
court , bribes , representation , dismissed , trial , corruption

Next In Nation

Coroner's court: Uncle describes close bond between Zara Qairina, mother
Selangor PBM members quit because 'promises never materialised', says Sng
MCMC engages civil groups on online child safety and protection
Sabah private sector employers must take note of replacement holidays, says state Labour Dept
30-year prison sentence upheld for ex-Rela member who fatally shot friend
EC informed of vacancies of Pandan, Setiawangsa parliamentary seats, says Dewan Rakyat Speaker
Tony Pua under investigation for post on Malay Rulers, confirms Bukit Aman
MalaysiaNow chief editor questioned over report on clip involving Farhash
Elephant management cooperation cannot be terminated unilaterally, says Taiping Municipal Council
Customs launches nationwide F&B registration ops

Others Also Read