Army grounds Agusta A109 LOH helicopters after crash


PADANG BESAR: The army has temporarily grounded its Agusta A109 LOH helicopters pending the investigation into Friday’s (June 28) helicopter crash.

Chief of Army Gen Tan Sri Muhammad Hafizuddeain Jantan said the army would not risk the safety of any personnel before knowing the factors behind the crash.

"Aircraft operations for Agusta A109 LOH in the peninsula and Sabah will be halted temporarily pending investigation. The aircraft are used for training and operations.

"For your information, the aircraft are an estimated 19 years old. We ensure every helicopter is in its best condition before conducting training or operations," he told reporters after the parade celebrating the 66th anniversary of the Territorial Army’s 504th Regiment at Bukit Keteri Camp on Thursday (June 27). The event was officiated by Perlis Regent Tuanku Syed Faizuddin Putra Jamalullail.

Before the crash, the helicopter was checked to ensure it was safe, and continuous physical and technical maintenance had been done, Muhammad Hafizuddeain said.

The army's Agusta A109 LOH helicopter, with three crew members on board, made an emergency landing at 1.35am yesterday during a night flight training session at Mahkota Kluang Camp in Johor. All crew members suffered injuries.

Muhammad Hafizuddeain also shared that the army would continue searching for Pvt Muhammad Syafiq Hilmi Abd Halim, who went missing during Op Ukur with the Sarawak Land and Survey Department on June 18.

"This is the 11th day of the army’s search and rescue operation. We have found several leads to his whereabouts in the general area but we have yet to find him.

"We will carry on with our search operation and I urge all Malaysians to pray that he will be found," he said. — Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read