111 cases of exposure to questionable vape liquid since 2015, says Health Minister


KUALA LUMPUR: A total of 111 cases of exposure to questionable vape liquid were reported to the National Poison Centre from 2015, says Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad.

The Health Minister said that the cases were reported between 2015 and last year and were apart from cases of associated lung injury due to e-cigarettes or vaping products (Evali).

"Of these cases, 83 (74.7%) were those involving young children and youths," he said in a written reply to a question raised by V. Ganabatirau (PH-Klang) in Dewan Rakyat on Wednesday (June 26).

Ganabatirau wanted to know the number of youths who had been diagnosed with illnesses due to vape and tobacco products between 2021 and 2023.

Meanwhile, Dr Dzulkefly said that from 2019, a total of 39 lung related injuries due to e-cigarettes and vaping were reported.

"Of these cases, eight were Evali cases involving youths between 14 and 19 years old," he added.

Evali is a serious illness that results in damage to the respiratory tract and walls of the lungs.

Dr Dzulkefly said that the ministry will continue efforts to reduce the dependence on smoking products, including vape to prevent Evali, particularly among youths.

Among them, he said, was the prohibition of sale of smoking products to minors under Section 13 of the Control of Smoking Products For Public Health 2024 which came into force on Feb 2 this year.

Under the section, those guily of selling smoking products to minor could face a fine not exceeding RM20,000 or one year imprisonment or both.

Minors caught purchasing smoking or tobacco products could face a maximum fine of RM500 or ordered to do community service.

He added that this also included strengthening laws against the advertisement and sale of smoking and fake smoking products resembling toys.

Dr Dzulkefly said it was the aim of the ministry to achieve the goal of seeing Malaysia free from the habit of smoking by 2040.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read