Health Ministry to table Medical Act amendment at upcoming Parliament session


PUTRAJAYA: The Health Ministry is set to present the amendment to the Medical Act (Act 50) at the upcoming Parliament session.

Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad stated that the amendment draft is currently undergoing a final review by the Attorney General's Chambers (AGC).

"We have had discussions with the Malaysian Medical Council (MMC), Malaysian Medical Association (MMA), and the Malaysian Medical Academy (AMM), among others. The Health Ministry's Legal Advisory Division and Medicine Development Division are fine-tuning the final details," he said after the launch of myBPR@CKAPS on Thursday (June 20).

ALSO READ: Draft amendments to Medical Act ready, stakeholders to be engaged before Cabinet review, says Dzulkefly

Dzulkefly indicated that once the final draft is summarised, it will be prepared for tabling and debate at the 15th Parliamentary session, the dates of which are yet to be decided upon.

He will first submit a memorandum to the Cabinet after the AGC returns the reviewed bill draft.

The Second Meeting of the Third Session of the 15th Parliament is scheduled to last 15 days, from June 24 to July 18.

ALSO READ: Medical Act to get a boost via amendment, says Health Minister

Dzulkefly previously said that the amendments aim to address the registration of medical doctors with specialist qualifications through the parallel pathway and to improve the process for recognition and registration of medical specialists.

The parallel pathway became an issue when the MMA urged Universiti Teknologi MARA to permit non-Bumiputera medical officers to undertake specialised cardiothoracic training, which is also extended to international students.

This appeal follows the MMC's decision not to list four cardiothoracic surgeons in the National Specialist Register, citing that their Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in Cardiothoracic Surgery (FRCS Ed) was not recognised.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Rafizi to proceed with lawsuit against Caprice over alleged defamation
Body of drowned Chinese national found
All govt agencies mobilised to assist flood victims in Sabah, says Zahid
Three more suspended in HRD Corp governance reset
Penang's esplanade seawall, promenade project wins Unesco heritage award
DAP’s pledge to back unity govt key to stability, says Fuziah
Malaysia weighs Impact of US tariff ruling, says Johari
Urgent action needed to combat synthetic drug abuse among students, says Lee Lam Thye
Scheduled water rationing in Kluang, Pontian ends
Chinese national feared drowned in Langkawi

Others Also Read