Pakatan Harapan candidate for Sungai Bakap polls to be announced next week, says Anwar


PUTRAJAYA: The Pakatan Harapan candidate for the upcoming Sungai Bakap by-election will be unveiled next week, says Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

The Prime Minister, who is also Pakatan chairman, said that they have shortlisted the names, with many of them qualified to contest for the seat.

"God-willing, we will announce it next week," he told reporters at the Masjid Sultan Abdul Samad, KLIA, here, on Friday (June 7).

Asked about the exact dates of the announcement, Anwar, who is also the PKR president, said that the party deputy president Rafizi Ramli would make the necessary announcement.

"I have asked Rafizi to announce, and pick a suitable date next week," added Anwar.

"Normally, the process is, we have discussed it between the party leadership, but it will be conveyed to the top leadership of Pakatan and Barisan Nasional leaders within the unity government," explained Anwar.

The Sungai Bakap state seat is vacant following the death of its incumbent, Nor Zamri Latiff, on May 24 due to stomach inflammation.

Nor Zamri, who was Nibong Tebal Pas chief, contested the state elections against Pakatan Harapan candidate Nurhidayah Che Rose from PKR, in August last year and won with a majority of 1,563 after securing 15,433 votes.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre
DAP members, leaders must respect outcome of special congress, says Chow
Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts

Others Also Read