Deceased Navy cadet was targeted by officers during training, court told


KUALA LUMPUR: A former Navy cadet officer told the Sessions Court here that the late J. Soosaimanicckam was targeted by officers during his training at KD Sultan Idris Navy Base, Lumut.

Abdul Muiz Ramli, 31, a quality engineer, testified that when Soosaimanicckam struggled with the exercises, he was frequently isolated by trainers.

"I believe the officers targeted the deceased. I overheard them snickering while observing Soosamanickam training.

"When Soosaimanicckam was isolated, he was instructed to do exercises like push-ups and star jumps under the supervision of several second lieutenants," he said when reading his witness statement in the case filed by S. Joseph against 11 individuals, including Navy officers, the Navy commander, Malaysian Armed Forces Council, the Defence Minister and the Malaysian government as the first to 15th defendants.

When cross-examined by federal counsel Abdul Hakim Abdul Karim, the seventh plaintiff witness clarified that his statement about the deceased being targeted by the officers was based on assumption rather than fact.

The witness said that Soosaimanicckam was often surrounded by three to four officers, while other trainees were only monitored by one officer.

"I observed that more officers were supervising Soosaimanicckam compared to other trainees," he added.

Abdul Muiz said that he trained alongside Soosaimanicckam as they were assigned to the same section since registering on May 12, 2018.

In the lawsuit filed on May 19, 2021, the victim's family is alleging negligence on the part of the defendants for failing to provide emergency treatment when the victim collapsed on the day of the incident, and further claiming negligence in monitoring his well-being and health during training sessions.

The plaintiff is seeking general damages, aggravated damages, exemplary damages, and other relief deemed appropriate by the court.

Soosaimanicckam, a graduate cadet officer, was pronounced dead at the Armed Forces Hospital in Lumut on May 19, 2018.

Last year, the Ipoh Coroner's Court delivered an open verdict during the inquest into the cadet officer's death to ascertain the cause.

Coroner Ainul Shahrin Mohamad determined that the cause of Soosaimanicckam's death, which occurred during cadet training at KD Sultan Idris, was pulmonary oedema.

The trial before Judge Idah Ismail continues on June 26. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Navy Cadet , Soosaimanicckam , Lawsuit , Negligence

Next In Nation

Unemployed man charged with murder ordered to undergo psychiatric assessment
Over 37 tonnes of e-waste seized in Port Klang by AKPS
Over 350 landowners appeal Penang’s revised land tax, says Chow
Sabah floods: Victims told to prioritise safety as Paitan, Kota Marudu, Pitas declared disaster zones
Microsleep accounts for 20% of road accidents, says Miros
Unity and harmony vital to preserve Malaysians' well-being, says Tiong
Steven Sim hospitalised for extreme fatigue
Two men arrested for domestic violence and intimidation in Tawau
No price gouging during Ramadan, Sabah consumer group urges businesses
Fashion designer Jovian Mandagie fails in appeal against bankruptcy order

Others Also Read